- Set the water bath temperature at desired level (25 0C- 50 0C) and wait till the bath attains the set temperature.
- Fill the T- tube with carbon tetrachloride to within two centimeters of the top of Capillary leg . Note down the initial diffusion height of the liquid in the capillary from the top end (x0).
- Make the connection with the air or vacuum pump and allow a gentle current of air to flow over the capillary.
- Record the height of liquid (x) from the top of the capillary tube after every 30 mins.
- Repeat the steps 1 to 4 for different temperatures.
- Plot diffusion co-efficient against absolute temperature on a log - log graph and determine the slope. It should lie between 1.5 to 1.8.
The main components of the experimental setup are
- Glass T- Tube
- Constant temperature water bath
- Air pump
- Travelling Microscope
- Volatile components is filled in the T- tube and air passed over it by the pump and change in the level is seen by the sliding microscope.
LEVEL OF CARBON TETRACHLORIDE AT T=0
LEVEL OF CARBON TETRACHLORIDE AT T=6 HRS
The animation below describes the process :